Sunday, July 13, 2014

Remco Mini-Monsters

Remco Frankenstein 1980
Sometimes it's strange which childhood memories stick with us.  For some reason, I vividly remember a day my grandmother took me to ToysRUs to pick up a Star Wars figure, or two.  (Actually, I think I got three that day.)  Anyway, while searching through Kenner's latest offerings, I specifically remember an entire endcap dedicated to Remco's Universal Monsters 3 3/4" action figures.  These were cool; the packaging was scary, and the possibilities were exciting.  








Frankenstein vs. Darth Vader? 

















Chewbacca vs. The Wolfman?  

 







   


Dracula vs. Obi Wan?  







However my request for some monsters, instead of the Cloud Car pilot, was quickly dismissed by my dear grandma.  "We came here for Star Wars, not for monsters!"   


She was right, and because I appreciated her generosity, I gave up on the monsters without effort. In fact, I completely gave up on them.  Star Wars continued to dominate my birthday and Christmas lists.  The monster playsets just couldn't compete with recreating the Star Wars Universe.  So now, thirty years later, I am hunting down these Remco figures to add to my collection.

Frankenstein is the best of the set as far as I am concerned and one of my favorite Frankenstein pieces.  Great detail in the sculpt and an excellent paint job.  This figure happens to be the glow-in-the dark version.
Bolts, Scars, and Baggy eyes.







I have also been able to find very nice versions of the Wolfman and Dracula.  These figures are hard to find without the traditional paint chip on the nose. My Dracula has a small one, but the wolfman is in great condition as is the Creature.  All four were purchased on ebay and I think I paid the most for the Creature. ($23 including shipping.)  Only Frankenstein is the glow-in-the-dark version.







Greedo vs. The Creature?









To close, I added a photo of some original packaging.  Funko is producing a ReAction line of 3 3/4" Monsters.  I like Funko's packaging, however early photos of the figures are not promising.  The purpose of the line is make the figures look like "throwbacks."  However, vintage figures were made with quality and attention to detail.  I do not expect either from Funko's ReAction line.
Original Packaging







No comments:

Post a Comment